Speed Cameras Issue 1.25 Million Warnings, Cut Speeding 43%
The City of Chicago’s automated speed enforcement system continues to succeed in reducing dangerous speeding around parks and schools. The Chicago Department of Transportation issued a press release earlier this month, stating that the number of speeding cars observed by its 51 speed cameras has fallen an average of 43 percent ever since the first week of the cameras’ operation. At some locations, the number of speeders dropped as much as 99 percent.
These stats continue the pattern established early on — just three weeks after a handful of speed cameras started issuing tickets, the number of cars seen speeding had already dropped 65 percent.
The 11-month-old speed camera program started almost a year ago with one installation at Gompers Park, and since then the program has issued “more than 1.25 million warnings to motorists.” Written warnings are issued within a camera’s first 30 days of operation, as well as on the first instance that a motorist is caught speeding, in any zone. Tickets are only issued when drivers exceed the speed limit by 10 mph or more.
The release also said motorists received 230,000 citations. That five warnings are issued for every citation might indicate that many motorists receive warnings, and don’t speed through safety zones again.
Later this year, the Illinois Department of Transportation will release crash and injury data covering the first three months of speed camera operations. That will help to gauge the speed cameras’ effectiveness in improving safety, for those both inside and outside cars.
CDOT will be installing cameras at 12 new sites “in the coming months,” distributed citywide across six geographic zones. Speed cameras will be installed at:
- Taft High School, 6545 W. Hurlbut St.
- Ashmore Playlot Park, 4807 W. Gunnison St.
- Beverly Park, 2460 W. 102nd St.
- Chicago Vocational High School, 2100 E. 87th St.
- Loop Lab School, 318 W. Adams St.
- Wicker Park 1425 N. Damen Ave.
- Keystone Park, 1655 N. Keystone Ave.
- Frazier International Magnet School, 4027 W. Grenshaw St.
- St. Gall Elementary School, 5515 S. Sawyer Ave.
- Foster Park, 1400 W. 84th St.
- Dulles Elementary School, 6311 S. Calumet Ave.
- Mulberry Park, 3150 S. Robinson Ct.