Help Raise the Last $2K Today and You Could Win One of a Zillion Bike Prizes
It’s been very humbling to see, for the second year in a row, the outpouring of support from hundreds of loyal Streetsblog Chicago readers, as well as advertisers and sponsors, as part of the effort to win the challenge grant from The Chicago Community Trust. With everybody pitching in to help, it’s kind of like the digital equivalent of an Amish barn raising. (Stay tuned for more about the Amish, and their bicycling habits, later this week.)
As I type this, we’ve raised $47,980, which means we need to raise another $2,020 in order to win the $25,000 dollar challenge grant from The Trust. We’ve come so far already that it feels like victory is almost within our grasp. On the other hand, there’s many a slip between cup and lip, and we’ve got only about ten hours until the clock strikes midnight, turning our fund drive into a pumpkin. We’ve still got a few potential funding sources in the mix, but we’re going to need more help from readers to make this happen.
Luckily, the local bike industry has always been very supportive of Steven’s and my transportation reporting, and they didn’t let us down this year. We’re grateful for current and upcoming advertising sponsorship from FK Law, Illinois Bicycle Lawyers, Boulevard Bikes, The Bike Lane, The Handlebar, Roscoe Village Bikes, The Chainlink, Uptown Bikes, On the Route Cycles, Blue City Cycles, Yojimbo’s Garage, and Station to Station App.
On top of that, we’ve got a whole slew of great prizes donated by other awesome bike shops, which we’ll raffle off next week. All readers who have donated will be eligible to win some of this fine schwag:
- A stylish, comfortable Kali helmet from Ancien Cycles
- A $100 gift card for classy-yet-practical bike bags from Po Campo
- A package of essential bike accessories from Green Machine Cycles, including an Axium mini pump, two Velocity water bottle cages, a sheet of Nathan reflective safety stickers, a patch kit and tire levers, and a Soma Fabrications Stash Bottle handy for storing tools and other gear in one of the bottle cages.
- NEW: Two bike tours for two and four full-day comfort bike rentals for two from Bike and Roll
- NEW: A Topeak frame pump and a Cygolite USB-rechargeable bike light set from Pedal to the People
- NEW: A Skid Lid bike helmet, two sets of BlackCat1 Knogg-type bike lights, and a bottle of ProLink chain lube from BlackCAT1.
- NEW: A bike tune-up from Comrade Cycles
Best of all, we’ll be holding our Reader Appreciation party later this month at Revolution Brewing. All Streetsblog readers are cordially invited, but those who have donated $100 or more will receive a ticket for a free pint, courtesy of the good folks at RevBrew. Here’s the skinny:
Streetsblog Reader Appreciation Party
Wednesday, June 22, 6-9 p.m.
Revolution Brewing Kedzie Taproom
3340 N. Kedzie Avenue