Today’s Headlines for Wednesday, December 30
- CTA announces disposable mask dispensers to be added to some Chicago buses (ABC)
- Churro Waffle family mourns Giovanny Bucio and aunt Araceli Gutierrez, killed in Gage park (Block Club)
- Evanston’s Main St. corridor is slated for pedestrian improvements (Evanston Roundtable)
- The city’s Shared Cost Sidewalk Program opens to applications on 1/11 (Block Club)
- Forty Acres, a Black-owned grocery store, is coming to Austin food desert (Block Club)
- Marquette Bank hosts Christmas Without Cancer’s annual bike contest (Beverly Review)
- Camping was a great escape from the pandemic this year (Sun-Times)
- Here’s a guide to good hiking routes in the region (Reader)
Get national headlines at Streetsblog USA
Streetsblog Chicago will be on a light publishing schedule over the holidays as we focus on fundraising, including Today’s Headlines and possible posts in response to breaking news. We will not publish on December 25 or January 1. We will resume full publication on Monday, January 4.
Here are some tips on preventing the spread of COVID-19, and advice for Chicagoans on what to do if you think you may have been exposed to the virus.
I’d like to give a big thanks to everyone who has donated so far to help Streetsblog Chicago raise $50K by January 1. Along with the $75K pledged by the Chicago Community Trust for our 2021 budget, this will allow us to promote assistant editor Courtney Cobbs to co-editor and launch a new weekly series on mobility justice issues impacting Chicago’s Latino communities. Can you help us win the grant by chipping in? You can make a tax-exempt donation here.
Thanks for your support, and enjoy your December.
– John Greenfield, editor, Streetsblog Chicago