Today’s Headlines for Thursday, December 5
- Hit-and-run driver killed schoolteacher Rone Leja, 61, in Orland Park (Sun-Times)
- Macksantino Webb, 20, fatally shot at Howard Red Line station (Sun-Times)
- Driver crashes into police command van in Douglas Park, no injuries (Sun-Times)
- The new Chicago ride-hail tax was just one of many setbacks for Uber last month (Quartz)
- Oswego officials are optimistic about getting a Metra station (Tribune)
- Self-driving trucks are operating on the Jane Addams Tollway (Tribune)
- Skyway toll will go up to $5.60 per car this year (Block Club)
- Lyft launches monthly subscription service in Chicago to compete with Uber (Sun-Times)
- Redfin ranks Chicago the 3rd most bikeable large U.S. city after Minneapolis and Portland
I’d like to give a big thanks to everyone who has donated so far this year to help us raise $50K by our January 1 deadline in order to win the $50K challenge grant from the Chicago Community Trust. Can you help us win the grant by chipping in? You can make a tax-exempt donation here.
Thanks for your support, and enjoy the holiday season.
– John Greenfield, editor, Streetsblog Chicago